According to medical experts, contaminated water causes bacteria, viruses and parasites to multiply and develop, leading to the spread of pathogens. In order to have a safe source of drinking water during and after floods, to ensure health and prevent possible diseases, people need to choose places that have not been polluted, try to take water as far from the shore as possible. and handled according to the guidance of the Ministry of Health.
Drinking water treatment:
In case a well is flooded and there is no rain water to use, flood water must be taken for treatment. First of all, people need to do in the country by:
– Use alum with a dose of 1 g of alum (a piece about half the size of a finger) for 20 liters of water. Scoop a ladle of water, dissolve the amount of alum equivalent to the volume of water needed to dissolve it, put it in a jar, jar or barrel of water and stir well.
– Wait about 30 minutes for the sediment to settle to the bottom and then decant the water. If alum is not available, you can use a clean cloth to filter the water, retain the residue, do several times until the water is clear.
Health workers guide how to safely treat water for people in the rainy season, floods – Photo: Thuy Vy
After working in water, it is necessary to disinfect water:
– Antiseptic with Cloramin T or B tablets: Cloramin B or T is produced in the form of tablets with the content of 0.25 g. This type is very convenient for sterilization of small volumes such as jars, jars, small tanks. A cloramin B or T tablet used to disinfect 25 liters of water.
– Disinfect with powdered chloramine: Calculate the amount of chloramine needed for disinfection based on the required concentration of 10 mg / liter. Example: A 30-liter water tank, the amount of Cloramin B needed to disinfect is 300 mg. You can use a tablespoon of chloramine powder, each full tablespoon is equivalent to 10 g. Thus, to disinfect 300 liters of water, about 1/3 of a teaspoon of Cloramin B powder is required. In an emergency where there is no alum to make in water, it is possible to use a temporary measure to increase the amount of chloramine.
Scoop a ladle of water, dissolve the amount of chloramine and pour it into the reservoir, mix well. Scoop water to the tank wall to disinfect. For 30 minutes can use water. If the water has a strong smell of chlorine, wait 30 minutes or 1 hour.
Many places in Quang Binh are flooded to the roof of the house. – Photo: Quang Tam
The Ministry of Health also notes not to disinfect and disinfect with alum acid or improperly disinfect chloramine for cloudy water because alum or organic substances in the water will absorb all active chlorine and lose the effect of reduction. bacteria of chlorine. In particular, use only water for drinking after it has been boiled. Water after boiling should not be left for too long, so boil fresh water every day to drink.
Environmental sanitation after floods
During the flood, water flooded, swept away everything that was contaminated on the ground such as: Waste from sewers, latrines, carcasses, barns, poultry, insects, trees … seriously polluted water and environment. So, right after the water recedes, there should be measures to treat water and the environment immediately to avoid pollution affecting health. According to the guidance of the Ministry of Health:
– Where the water drains, families clean their houses and mobilize the community to clean the environment there, push all sediments and rubbish out of families and streets.
– Collection of sludge, alluvium, garbage for concentrated treatment.
– The best burial location for animals is in the field, at least 50 meters away from surface water sources.
– When the water drains out, the environment is heavily polluted with a stinking odor caused by the rot of animals, insects, and trees. It is necessary to clear drains, fill puddles of standing water, bury dead animals and disinfect.
The Department of Preventive Medicine, the Ministry of Health also recommends that people destroy the larvae / larvae, kill mosquitoes by covering tanks, water tanks, dropping fish into large water containers, and removing waste such as bottles, jars, car tires … or natural water holes to prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs. Blind sleep during the day. When there are signs of suspicion of infection, it is necessary to seek examination and treatment at the nearest medical facility.